Increasing road capacity
The approach to transport for Alconbury Weald has been designed to be flexible and linked in with the development of the site over a 20 year period. We want to ensure that the infrastructure is in place when it is needed and is delivered as part of the wider infrastructure investment in the local area such as the improvements for the A14.
A number of improvements to the road network have already been identified including on the site itself:
- New site access for goods vehicles and construction traffic
- Improvements to the main site access
In the immediate vicinity of Alconbury Weald:
- New residential site access at Ermine Street South
- Improvements at Rusts Lane
- Traffic calming for Great and Little Stukeley
- Restricted vehicle access at Clay Lane
- Southern gateway access from the A141
In the wider area:
- Improvements to the A141/Ermine Street junction
- A14 Junction 23 Spittals Interchange improvements
- New proposals for improvements to the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon are currently under consideration, with work expected to start by 2018
To find out more about how we plan to improve and enhance the road and rail network, please see our information factsheet.